Rodent proofing is crucial to protect your home, whether you are fighting against them or trying to prevent their return. Conditions that provide food and shelter for rodents will continue to grow. You can reduce or eliminate rodent infestations by properly storing and sanitizing common attractants and sealing off entry points to your home. Here are some easy steps to prevent rodents from taking over your home. You can also hire pest control services to get rid of these little critters.
Pest Control Services
Exterminators said that it is easy to forget all about food and other items that you have stored away. But mice are not likely to forget them. It is important to ensure that your cabinets and other storage areas are well organized and inspected in order to fight rodents. Dry food, pets food, and birdseed should be stored in metal, glass or plastic containers.
- To prevent nesting, seal all seasonal storage containers.
- Avoid nesting rodents gaining access to cardboard boxes.
- Use pallets or shelving to raise storage items above the ground.
It is important rodent control Myrtle Beach SC is to prevent rodent infestations by sanitizing. For rodents to thrive, they must have enough food and shelter. These two elements must be removed in order to control and prevent rodent infestations. In your sanitation efforts, it is crucial to consider both the inside and outside of your home.
- Common crumb areas should be cleaned, including under stoves and refrigerators.
- Keep countertops clean and free of food.
- Don’t leave water glasses out overnight.
- Make sure to take out any unopened pet food and keep the area clean.
- Make sure garbage cans are covered and kept clean.
- Cleanse areas that are moist regularly.
- To prevent grass from becoming a hiding place, it is important to mow your lawn regularly.
- Remove all overgrown vegetation and trim the roots until you can see the ground below.
- Get rid of any bird feeders that have fallen seeds.
- Any fruit that falls from your trees should be picked up.
- All debris should be removed, including old equipment and rock piles.
- Keep firewood away from your house and off the ground.
Sealing is a great residential pest control method to keep rodents out of your home. Mice can squeeze through 1/4-inch holes, which is about the same size as a dime. It can be hard to keep them out completely. Rats can squeeze through openings 1/2 inches in size, which is about the same size as a nickel. These common rodent access points should be regularly inspected and repaired to keep them out.
It’s time to conduct your own home inspection now that you have an idea of how rodent proofing can benefit you in fighting mice and rats. We have a few tips to help you find rodent nests. To ensure that you don’t miss any high-activity areas while inspecting or repairing your home, download our printable checklists.